Military presence in the Caribbean
The Netherlands armed forces maintain a permanent military presence in the Caribbean for the performance of military tasks and a number of policing tasks.
Tasks in the Caribbean
The national tasks in the Caribbean part of the Kingdom mainly comprise:
- coastguard support;
- combating the regional drugs trade;
- police tasks, carried out by the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee;
- border control;
- riot control.
Military personnel and materiel
The military presence of the Netherlands armed forces in the Caribbean consists of:
- Royal Netherlands Marine Corps squadron on Aruba;
- a rotating detachment from the Royal Netherlands Marine Corps on St Maarten;
- a rotating company from the Royal Netherlands Army on Curaçao;
- the Aruban Militia;
- the Curaçao Militia;
- a Fast Raiding Interception and Special Forces Craft (FRISC) troop on Aruba;
- the guard ship in the Caribbean;
- the strategic transport ship HNLMS Pelikaan;
- a Royal Netherlands Marechaussee brigade.
If required, the Netherlands armed forces can expand their military presence in the Caribbean.