There are 3 categories of ships: large surface units, small surface units and subsurface units.
Large surface units
The Navy is equipped with the following large surface units:
- 6 frigates (2 multi-purpose frigates and 4 air-defence and command frigates);
- 2 amphibious transport ships, also known as Landing Platform Docks (LPDs);
- 1 supply ship;
- 4 patrol ships, also known as Ocean-going Patrol Vessels (OPVs).
Small surface units
The Navy is equipped with the following small surface units:
- 6 mine countermeasure vessels;
- 2 hydrographic survey vessels;
- 1 torpedo work ship;
- 1 support vessel in the Caribbean;
- 1 sailing training ship;
- 1 Navy training ship;
- 4 diving vessels.
The Navy has the following subsurface units:
- 4 Walrus-class submarines.
His Netherlands Majesty’s Ship
All ships entering the service of the Royal Netherlands Navy are given the prefix HNLMS (His Netherlands Majesty’s Ship).