The Netherlands and Germany are increasingly intensifying their collaboration in the area of ground-based air and missile defence. A wide range of threats from the air has increased the need for this form of defence.
Apollo, the cooperation between the Netherlands Defence Ground-Based Air Defence Command and the German Samwing, includes:
- combining doctrines and concepts;
- establishing the Bi-National Air & Defence Academy;
- establishing the Bi-National Air & Defence Task Force;
- investigating the integration of the German ground-based air and missile defence unit SAM-Group 61 into a Dutch unit;
- German participation in a Dutch anti-missile, anti-artillery and anti-mortar unit;
- Dutch participation in a German programme to investigate short-distance air defence.